3. Which of the following is a FALSE statement regarding carbohydrate structure and function?
Carbohydrates are a source of fiber in the diet.
Carbohydrates are composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
Carbohydrates contain 9 kcal per gram.
Carbohydrates are composed of one or more sugar units.
Carbohydrate consumption reduces the use of protein for energy.
5.An oligosaccharide is a:
polysaccharide made up of numerous glucose units.
carbohydrate that consists of one sugar molecule.
polysaccharide made up of glycogen.
6. Which of the following foods contains the MOST grams of carbohydrates?
oatmeal, 1/2 cup
black beans, 1/4 cup
corn, 1/2 cup
raisins, 1/2 cup
yogurt (plain, low fat), 1 cup
7.Which portion of the whole grain contains the majority of dietary fiber and a significant amount of B vitamins and minerals?
8. In the small intestine, pancreatic amylase continues to break down starch, converting it to
maltose and oligosaccharides.
9.Which stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin?
elevated glycogen in the liver
decreased blood glucose
elevated blood glucose
elevated ketone bodies in the blood
10.Insulin promotes conversion of excess glucose to glycogen in the:
skeletal and cardiac muscles only.
liver and adipose tissue.
brain, muscles, and liver.
liver, adipose tissue, and kidneys.
liver and skeletal muscles.
is triggered by an autoimmune disorder.
can be reversed by early lifestyle intervention.
can be managed, but not cured.
is diagnosed by the onset of ketoacidosis.
is due to loss of the ability of the pancreas to produce insulin.
Which is NOT a risk factor for type 2 diabetes?
Uncontrolled type 2 diabetes results in higher risk of all of the following, EXCEPT:
14. The oral glucose tolerance test includes the intake of:
75 g lactose and measured blood glucose levels 2 hours later.
50 g white bread and measured blood glucose levels 1 hour later.
50 g lactose and measured blood glucose levels 1 hour later.
50 g glucose and measured blood glucose levels 1 hour later.
75 g glucose and measured blood glucose levels 2 hours later.
Which is NOT true about gestational diabetes?
It increases the mother’s future risk of type 1 diabetes.
It increases the infant’s future risk of obesity.
It causes pregnancy complications.
It increases the infant’s future risk of type 2 diabetes.
It resolves shortly after the woman gives birth.
Which of these clinical tests enables type 1 diabetes to be distinguished from type 2 diabetes?
lower insulin levels
higher ketone bodies in the blood
higher fasting blood glucose levels
higher glucose levels in the urine
higher oral glucose tolerance test values
17. Which changes in the urine are possible signs of diabetes?
increased volume and ketone bodies
increased acidity and ketone bodies
increased volume and darker color
increased mineral content
increased glucose and ketone bodies
18. Which oil provides the most alpha-linolenic acid?
19. Which food combination does NOT contain cholesterol?
peanut butter and jelly sandwich
cereal and milk
cheese and macaroni
fish and French fries
ice cream sundae topped with nuts
20. You are purchasing a spread and want to avoid trans fatty acids. Which would you avoid since it is the most likely to contain trans fatty acids?
partially hydrogenated vegetable oil
fully hydrogenated vegetable oil
21. Which CORRECTLY lists the lipoproteins from the least to most dense?
chylomicron, VLDL, LDL, HDL
HDL, chylomicron, VLDL, LDL
HDL, LDL, VLDL, chylomicron
VLDL, LDL, HDL, chylomicron
VLDL, LDL, chylomicron, HDL
In the small intestines triglycerides are absorbed as:
monoglycerides and free fatty acids.
LDL and HDL.
micelles and chylomicrons.
23. Linoleic acid can be metabolized in the body:
into bile acids to be stored in the gallbladder.
to be stored as cholesterol.
into long-chain omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
into arachidonic acid and eicosanoids.
into EPA, DHA, and eicosanoids.
24. Cardiovascular disease is defined as:
a group of conditions that impairs the heart and blood vessels.
fat deposits that accumulate on the lining of the arteries causing damage.
elevated cholesterol, LDL, triglycerides, and decreased HDL.
decreased blood flow to the coronary arteries resulting in a heart attack.
hardening and narrowing of the blood vessels due to plaque development.
25. Which foods are BEST for reducing inflammation and atherosclerosis?
peanuts and cashews
red wine and other alcoholic beverages
olive oil and coconut oil
phytochemicals and dietary fiber
fatty fish and seafood
Nuts are considered “heart healthy” for all of the following reasons, EXCEPT:
they are low in calories.
they are a rich source of phytochemicals.
they are a rich source of antioxidant vitamins.
they are rich in unsaturated fatty acids.
they do not contain cholesterol.
The patient showing a blockage of blood vessels to the brain may be at high risk of:
28. An epidemiology study investigating cardiovascular disease development in childhood in biracial populations is known as the:
Seven Countries Study.
Framingham Heart Study.
Nurses’ Health Study.
29. A female patient with total cholesterol 200 mg/dl, LDL 150 mg/dl, HDL 45 mg/dl, and glucose 98 mg/dl would:
be at risk of hemorrhaging.
be at risk of dementia.
have metabolic syndrome.
be at risk of cardiovascular disease.
30. All of the following dietary changes reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, EXCEPT:
increasing plant sterol and stanol intake.
replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fatty acids.
increasing the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.
increasing fatty fish and fish oil intake.
lowering trans fats to less than 1% of total calories.
31. A patient with low protein intake has frequent illness and infections. You suspect this may be due to not enough protein:
for proper blood pH balance.
for tissue fluid balance.
for hormone regulation.
for antibody synthesis.
to support wound healing.
32. Which individual does NOT require higher than the recommended 0.8 g per kg of body weight per day protein intake?
a pregnant woman
an endurance and strength athlete
a patient with a burn injury
a middle-age individual starting a fitness program
an elderly individual with muscle atrophy
33. Which substance is NOT involved in protein digestion?
34. The processes by which proteins are continuously broken down and resynthesized is known as protein:
35. Amino acids differ based on their:
central carbon location.
number of hydrogen groups.
36. Which contributes high-quality protein with the lowest saturated fat content?
whole boiled egg
skinless baked chicken breast
37. Which list contains a food that a vegan would NOT consume?
legumes, wild rice, mashed potatoes
corn, margarine, pasta with tomato sauce
peanut butter, white bread, soy milk
soft drink, French fries, chips
honey, chopped nuts, berries
38. A person who excludes red meats, but includes poultry and fish in their diet is considered a:
39. Olive oil and mixed nuts in the Mediterranean diet result in high:
monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty acid intake.
omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids intake.
omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) intake.
partially hydrogenated oil intake.
linoleic acid intake.
40. At what stages of cancer is a plant-based diet MOST likely to be effective?
initiation and promotion
initiation and invasion
progression and metastasis
invasion and progression
invasion and metastasis
41. Eating a plant-based diet consisting of fruits and nonstarchy vegetables probably protects against:
colon, breast, and prostate cancer.
mouth, stomach, and lung cancer.
liver and gallbladder cancer.
42. Which phytochemical has been reported to reduce the risk of prostate cancer?
43. Which are more bioavailable in plant foods than in animal foods?
calcium and iron
zinc and riboflavin
vitamin C and E
retinoids and thiamin
vitamin D and cholesterol
44. Vegan may increase non-heme iron absorption by consuming it with:
soy protein or legumes.
45. Which statement is NOT true about the Mediterranean diet’s effects on health?
The Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
The Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
The Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of celiac disease.
The Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of diabetes.
The Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of cancer.
46. Within which component of the whole grain are most of the beneficial nutrients and phytochemicals found?
seed and grain
bran and germ
47. _____ are carbohydrates that consist of only one sugar molecule, while _____ consist of exactly two sugar molecules.
48. Which combination provides an example of protein complementation?
eggs and whole grain toast
pasta and bread sticks
rice and mashed potatoes
tossed salad with cranberries
peanut butter sandwich
49. Pancreatic proteases in the small intestines break polypeptides into:
50. What is the role of the kidneys in preventing increased blood ammonia with high protein intake?
filtering of blood and excretion of urea in the urine
neutralization of uric acid to urea followed by excretion in the urine
excretion of ammonia and extra protein in the urine
conversion to urea and excretion in urine
conversion to uric acid and excretion in the urine
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more