The work has not been graded but I like the output that was submitted to me. Is it possible for the same prof to do the next assignment I will be submitting? If possible, I will greatly appreciate it.
No further calculations need to be made for the wind farm, because there is no further land use change or consumption of material at a wind farm after construction is complete. So, we’ll keep the power density estimate of 15 W/m2 for the wind farm through this exercise. Coal power plants do consume material and necessitate land use change on an annual basis. We’ll explore this land use change over the typical 40 year lifespan of a coal power plant.
The average power capacity of a coal power plant in the United States is 500 MWe. That’s 500 megawatts of electrical capacity. Most coal consumed in the United States for generating electricity is derived from Wyoming, and the biggest, most productive coal mine in Wyoming is the Black Thunder Mine, which produces 61,000,000 metric tons of coal each year. To produce this amount of coal on an annual basis, the mine is expanded each year by 5 km2. Use this information and the information listed below to calculate the area disturbed at the mine to produce enough coal for our single 500 MWe coal power plant over 40 years.
Power plant info:
Electrical capacity = 500 MWe
Efficiency = 33%
Lifespan = 40 years
Area occupied by the power plant = 2,600,000 m2 (national average for coal power plants)
Coal mine info:
Production: 61,000,000 metric tons per year
Expansion rate: 5 km2 per year or 5,000,000 m2 per year
1) Calculate the rate at which chemical energy in the coal is converted into electricity using the electrical capacity and the efficiency of the power plant. Your answer reflects the thermal capacity of the power plant and should still be in megawatts (MW).
2) Assume that the power plant operates at full capacity each year. Take the number in step 1 above and multiply by the number of seconds in a year. This will give you the number of megajoules (MJ) consumed by burning coal each year.
3) Calculate the mass of coal consumed each year at the power plant by using the average coal energy density of 21 MJ/kg. You will need to convert your answer to metric tons.
4) Calculate the proportion of annual coal production at the Black Thunder Mine that goes to our power plant.
5) Use the proportion in step 4 to calculate how much land is disturbed each year to provide our power plant with coal.
6) Multiply your answer from step 5 by 40 years.
Please type the answer out in the following format:
Over the 40 year supply of coal to a 500 MWe coal power plant, the amount of land disturbed by coal mining = W.WW x 10W m2
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more