First you need to read a book named “NEW JIM CROW”
Please select ONE question from EACH set below (total of 3 questions) and answer those questions in a separate word document. Please stay close to the text and cite the text as appropriate in your responses. Responses for each question should be around 500 words. Please upload the document here before our next class on 3/20.
1. What role do mandatory minimum sentences play in the new Jim Crow?
2 .Why does Alexander say that prison sentences are only a small part of the problem? WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s the rest of the problem with the new Jim Crow? Ã¢â‚¬Â¨
3. What is the role of bureaucratic discretion in the new Jim Crow? Consider both the tremendous discretion of police officers and prosecutors and the relative lack of discretion of judges. Does this suggest anything about what fairer laws might look like?
1. What does Alexander mean when (quoting Reva Siegel) she calls slavery, Jim Crow, and mass incarceration Ã¢â‚¬Å“preservation through transformationÃ¢â‚¬Â? (p. 21) Ã¢â‚¬Â¨
2. Consider AlexanderÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s argument about the origin of the War on Drugs, and tell an analogous story about the origins of the War on Terror. Is the analogy, or are limits to the analogy, revealing? Is this line of analysis fruitful at all?
3. Was the new Jim Crow inevitable? What would have had to be different to have prevented it? Ã¢â‚¬Â¨
1. Why has there been so little challenge to the new Jim Crow?
2. Why does Alexander say that the Jena 6 struggle could not have given rise to a broader civil rights struggle? Following this logic, what might a campaign that could spark such struggle look like? If it had focal individuals (like the six teenagers in Jena), what kind of people in what kind of circumstances might they be? Ã¢â‚¬Â¨
3. What is AlexanderÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s critique of affirmative action? Is this just a critique of the relatively exclusive focus of civil rights organization on affirmative action, or is it a critique of affirmative action programs themselves? Do you agree with her critique?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more