Thank you so much. Great work. I received full credit for my portion of this group assignment. Please continue to keep up the great work and help me as much as possible.
1.Distinguish between energy efficiency and net energy. What do each of these measures tell us about an energy resource/technology? [2 Marks]
2. Some environmentalists have cheered, albeit somewhat reluctantly, the significant new reserves of natural gas made available because of advances in hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling.
a) Describe two reason for which an environmentalist might prefer gas over coal for electricity production. [2 Marks]
b) Explain one of the lingering concerns surrounding these new unconventional gas supplies. [1 Mark]
3. In the immediate aftermath of an oil spill on the open sea, where no emergency response occurs, which is at greater short-term risk from acute toxicity: life in the benthic zone or in the euphotic/pelagic zone? Explain why that risk decreases quickly (give two reasons). (Look in Chapter 7 to remind yourself of aquatic life zone definitions.) [2 Marks]
4. What constitutes “safe” transport of petroleum and bitumen? Explain why you agree/disagree with a definition of safety that takes into account only the risk of harm to human health and economic harm. [3 Marks]
5. Some opposition to oil pipelines is based on the risk of direct ecological damage that could be caused by a pipeline rupture. However, others have expressed opposition to pipelines because these “enable” continued use of fossil fuels. Regardless of the underlying reason, do you think it is fair to prevent the province of Alberta from delivering its petroleum and bitumen, both legal products and major resources, to foreign markets? Explain. [4 Marks]
6. Suppose you have the ability to watch atoms “live”. Specifically, you are viewing atoms of cobalt-60 which are unstable with a half-life of about 5.3 years:
a) First, you watch a single cobalt-60 atom. What can you say confidently about when its nucleus will decay? [1 Mark]
b) Next you watch a collection of 1000 cobalt-60 atoms. What statement can you make about when they will decay? [1 Mark]
7. Your friend is terribly afraid of radiation, so naturally her wealthy and mischievous younger brother offers her a choice for her birthday:
1) a day-long walking tour of Okuma (during which she may wear a mask), where the residual radiation dose (from the 2011 Fukushima accident, 10 km away) averages roughly 4 micro-Sieverts per hour above normal background, OR
2) dinner in far-from-Fukushima Tokyo where fresh fish caught just off the coast of Fukushima prefecture and rice grown near Okuma will be served. In the absence of any other information, which option would you advise your friend to choose, and why? (There is no secret third option…) [2 Marks]
8. In your own words, explain why spent nuclear fuel needs continuous cooling for at least ten years after its removal from the core of a reactor. [2 Mark]
the coure is NATS 1840 and it is assignment NO7
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more